Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Pepper Steak

I had this meal years back when I was with my exes family and it was really delicious so I had to get the recipe.  Of course when I was at the store buying the things for it I went to get the Bell Pepper and Lee looks at me and says NO, he will not eat it if I put the pepper in it so I had to leave that out.  I don't always eat bell pepper's but I do like the flavor it leaves so I usually always add it if it's in the recipe but that day Lee caught me before I could.  But hopefully one day I will make this dish for company and Lee will have no choice in the matter.

Pepper Steak
1 pound of round steak-1/2 inch thick
1 tbsp paprika
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp margarine or butter
2 cloves of garlic
1 can  or 1 1/2cups of beef broth
1 cup sliced green onions with tops
2 green (bell) peppers cut in strips
2 tbsp corn starch
1/4 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce
2 large ripe tomatoes cut in wedges
3 cups already cooked rice

Pound steak to 1/4 thickness and then cut into 1/4 inch wide strips. Sprinkle meat with paprika, salt and pepper and allow to stand while preparing other ingredients.

In a large skillet, brown meat in butter. Add garlic and broth, cover and simmer 30 minutes.  Stir in onions and green peppers, cover and cook 5 more minutes.  Blend cornstarch with water and then blend it along with the soy sauce into the skillet with the meat.  Turn up the heat and stir until mixture is thick, then turn down the heat.  Add tomatoes and stir gently.  Serve over rice.

Adapted from The Brinegar Family. 

No comments:

Post a Comment