Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Chili

I was in the mood for Chili so I went to searching for a good recipe, until now I had only used the package spice stuff but I will never do that again.  It was so easy and tasted really good.  I ended up going with my friend Kirbe's recipe and I'm glad I did.  Now if you don't like spicy Chili or if children are going to be eating this then I'd play around with the Chili Powder, I used 5T. and Kirbe estimated she used 5-6 so I would think that maybe cutting it to 4 would be childproof but since I didn't try it that way then all I can say is to play around with it and maybe only add a tablespoon at a time. 

 *Gift Idea-You could combine all the spices and bottle/package it up and give it away and include directions with it.  I think this combo of spices is much better than buying one of those packages at the store.  I plan on making homemade taco seasoning and giving some away this Christmas so I don't know why you couldn't do this the same way. 

Chili
2lbs ground beef
1 large yellow sweet onion, diced
2 cans of beans, drained & rinsed (I used pinto & kidney but next time I'll only use pinto)
3 cans of tomatoes, with juice (I'd suggest using Chili Tomatoes or fire roasted tomatoes)
2 tbsp. oregano
2 tsp. ground cumin
3 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. chipotle chili powder
2-6 tbsp. Chili powder (depends on how spicy you want it, I used 5)
salt & pepper to taste

In a large pot combine your onions, beef, and seasonings and cook on medium high heat until your meat is browned.  Add your tomatoes and beans and bring to boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. 

Adapted from my friend Kirbe and her blog, Mama's Kitchen

No comments:

Post a Comment