Friday, August 27, 2010

Strawberry Cupcakes


I thought I would start with this recipe because Strawberry season is coming to an end before too long and this is one thing I’ve made that I have half way decent pictures! The first time I made these I was making what felt like to be a million mini cupcakes for my in laws anniversary party and these were by far my favorite cupcakes out of the 4 different kinds I made! If you leave the icing off it’s just like Strawberry Muffins. A couple of weeks after their anniversary party my nephew was having his 2nd birthday party and he doesn’t like sweets much so I suggested these to my sister and she loved the idea so I made regular cupcakes for his party!



Strawberry Cupcakes
Yield: about 18 cupcakes or about 48 mini cupcakes

Ingredients:


For the cupcakes:
2 ½ cups cake flour (both times I’ve made these all I’ve had was All-Purpose & they still tasted delicious)
1 tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
½ cup unsalted butter
1 ½ cups sugar
2 eggs
1/3 cup buttermilk
¼ cup oil
1 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups chopped strawberries


For the frosting:
½ c. strawberries
8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
1 ½ sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 ¾ cups powdered sugar, sifted
½ tsp. lemon juice
1 tbsp. vanilla


Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350°. Line cupcake pans with paper liners.


Sift flour, salt and baking soda into a medium bowl. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until combined. Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla and beat until combined. Add flour mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in chopped strawberries. Fill cupcake wells ¾ full with batter. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack.

For the frosting, puree strawberries in food processor. Strain through a mesh sieve to remove seeds, and set aside. Beat the cream cheese and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer until smooth and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add powdered sugar and mix until smooth. Add lemon juice, vanilla and strawberry puree. Adjust the amount of puree to achieve your desired consistency. Frost cupcakes when completely cool.

Adapted from Annie's Eats

No comments:

Post a Comment