Monday, October 11, 2010

Light Brioche Burger Buns

I never ever would've imagined making my own burger buns but when I saw this recipe I knew I had too!  My Mom tried it out first and said it was good so when I was planning to make Burgers with fries and homemade cheese sauce (I'm posting this recipe later on in the week) I figured I might as well go one step further and make my own buns!  And this recipe is wonderful, I've eaten one bun all by its self as breakfast even and it makes your burger 10x as good.

Light Brioche Burger Buns

3 Tbsp. warm milk (I heated mine for 30 seconds in the microwave)
1 cup warm water (I let my warm water run for a minute, it gets really hot)
2 tsp. instant yeast
2 1/2 Tbsp. sugar
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 egg
3 cups bread flour
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2 1/2 Tbsp. unsalted butter, softened

For topping:
1 large egg beaten with 1 tbsp. water, for egg wash
Sesame seeds (optional, I did not use them)

Add the milk, water, yeast, sugar, salt, and egg to your stand mix fitted with a paddle attachment and mix real quick till it's combined.  Add the flours and mix again till combined, then add the butter and mix.  Switch to a dough hook and then knead for 6-8 minutes.  The dough will be somewhat tacky but you want to avoid adding too much flour because it will make tough buns, I didn't add any extra flour.

Now you can either take your dough out and oil your mixer bowl or you can get another bowl and oil it and put your dough back in it to rise.  I always turn my oven on 200 degrees and crack it open and put my dough on the edge of the oven to rise.  You need to let it rise 1-2hrs, until doubled, doing it my way it only took a little over an hour. 

Now the original instructions say to line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat but I just oiled a baking sheet and mine turned out fine.  Divide your dough to 8 equal pieces, roll into a ball and place 2-3 inches apart.  Let rise again for 1-2hrs, until doubled.  For this I shut my oven door but I did keep my oven on and set my dough on top.  I could have let mine rise a little longer but I only let mine rise another hour. 

Set a large metal pan of water on the lowest rack of the oven.  Preheat the oven to 400˚ F with a rack in the center.  Brush the tops of the buns lightly with the egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Bake the buns about 15 minutes rotating halfway through baking, until the tops are golden brown.  Transfer to a rack to cool completely.

Adapted from Annie's Eats.

3 comments:

  1. I hadn't made these yet because I figured they'd take too much time but looks like I'll have to try them after all! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you have a stand mixer then it only took about 20-25min. of actual work, it's the rise time that makes it seem so long. They were totally worth the work too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious. No wonder you couldn't resist eating them for breakfast. Although I often make my own bread,I've never made my own burger buns. Thanks for sharing and motivating me to make homemade ones.

    ReplyDelete