Monday, September 13, 2010

Homemade Granola

A week or so ago we went to Pinkberry with my sister and her family and Lee got granola as one of his toppings and this was really the first time I can remember that I saw Lee eat granola.  He told me then that he really loves granola!  So then last week we were walking around a Kroger Fresh Fare, a new type of Kroger, there's one in Ft. Worth by TCU...anyways so he saw this thing of granola with cranberries and he got it.  I was looking at it later on and first of all it was $1.50 for a small bowl and my frugal side knew we'd never buy another one of those again but I thought hmmm...this has to be easy to make so I bought the ingredients I needed that I didn't have and threw together stuff.  And wow I was amazed because I just threw it together and because it really tasted good! 

Homemade Granola

2 cups rolled oats
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup sliced almonds
2 tbsp. sunflower kernels
1/2 cup dried fruit

Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.

In a small bowl add the oats, salt, and cinnamon.  In another small bowl mix together the oil, honey, brown sugar, and vanilla.  Mix together the two mixtures until blended. 

I baked mine in a dish like this, just a Pyrex glass dish.  Cook it for 15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.  Then add the almonds and sunflower kernels and bake for an additional 5 minutes.  When you take it out spread it out on a baking sheet lined with wax paper to cool.

After it cools place in a container and stir in the dried fruit.                                                    

Original Recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment