Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Avocado Enchiladas

Please excuse this picture, it doesn't look that great...

I don't know why but I was craving avocados and lots of them and so I started going through recipes with avocados and nothing looked good till I ran across this recipe and I knew I was going to have to make it ASAP.  Lee had taken me to Abuelo's for my birthday and we had both tried avocado enchiladas then and liked them but we we're both iffy about the avocados being hot.  Well after I made these at home I loved them even more and Lee said the flavor was really good he's just still not sure if he likes avocados hot so keep that in mind before you make them.  Also I had cut the original recipe in half but if it's just 2 of you I would recommend cutting my measurements in half because that's what I'll do next time.

Avocado Enchiladas with Chicken

1 boneless skinless chicken breast
3 avocados
1/4 of a onion
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp dried oregano
1 tbsp chili powder
2 1/2 tbsp. ground cumin
1 cup dry white wine
1 can diced tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth or stock
1/2 cup cilantro
1/8 cup lime juice
4 cups plus 1T vegetable oil
1/2 tsp. salt\
pepper to taste
12-corn tortillas
1lb. monterey jack cheese

Place chicken breast in water and boil. 

Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in skillet over medium heat.  Add onions, garlic, cumin, chili powder, oregano, brown sugar.  Mix and then add wine and cook till onions are soft.  Add tomatoes and broth and let simmer for 20minutes.

Peel, pit, and roughly chop avocados.  Remove chicken from water and shred.  Toss avocados and chicken with cilantro, lime juice, salt, and pepper.

Heat oven to 400 degrees. Heat remaining 4 cups oil in a wide, heavy saucepan over medium heat until very hot but not smoking, 7 to 10 minutes. Using tongs, fry 6 tortillas, one at a time, for 2 to 3 seconds. Drain on paper towel-lined sheet.

Pour 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of a deep casserole dish.  Spoon roughly 2T. on tortillas and roll up and place in dish seam side down.  Repeat until done.  Pour remaining enchilada sauce over it and top with cheese. 

Bake Enchiladas until heated thru 20-30minutes, depending on your oven you might need to cover them for part of the time so you don't burn the cheese. 

Adapted from Martha Stewart

No comments:

Post a Comment