Tuesday, September 14, 2010

"Healthy" Buffalo Chicken (Salad)

I was frustrated when I went to the store and forgot my stuff for salad therefore it ended up being just chicken!
I haven't made this in a long time but I used to make it somewhat often because I was obsessed with Frank's Red Sauce.  I'm not sure what started my obsession but it got so bad that I made a homemade Buffalo Chicken Pizza with Frank's as the pizza sauce and yeah it did not turn out good.  That was in April (And I can only tell you when it was because I had Lee make it for me the day after my last surgery) and I had retired my bottle of Frank's until now just so I could make this to share with you.  Well and because Saturday night we ate at Buffalo Wild Wings and I was craving some wings again. 

Ok a couple things you should know about this recipe...1st thing is that there is a recipe for homemade Blue Cheese dressing but I've never made it because even though I love blue cheese I don't know anyone else that does but if you want to try it out go to the link at the bottom to the original recipe and you can try it out and let me know how it is.  And the 2nd thing is Lee loves HATES this...he says it's TOO healthy tasting, he's never said he didn't like the flavor but just that it's too healthy.  But for the record my friend Kourtney has had this and she liked it, a couple months ago she even asked me for the recipe, so I know I'm not the only one that likes this. 

Healthy Buffalo Chicken (Salad)

1lb. chicken tenders
2 Tbsp. Frank's hot sauce
1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. brown sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2cup bread crumbs or Panko bread crumbs (I had never heard of Panko but it is right there along with all the other bread crumbs, usually with the flour, it's worth buying it if you need or want another recipe to use the Panko in look here, it's the best shrimp scampi you'll ever have, even better than Red Lobster to me)

I also highly recommend eating this chicken over a salad that consists of chopped celery sticks and romaine lettuce! 

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. 

Whisk together the salt, sugar, vinegar, and hot sauce.  Add the chicken and stir to coat, let set for 10-15minutes.  Put the bread crumbs in a coating tray and coat all the chicken.  Bake on a baking sheet for 20-25minutes or until done. 

Take out and slice in small bite size slices and serve over salad.  I would recommend using additional hot sauce for drizzling along with Ranch or Blue Cheese. 

Adapted from Cook Yourself Thin Cookbook.

No comments:

Post a Comment