Thursday, January 6, 2011

Spinoccoli Pizza

So every once in awhile we make Pizza and since me and Lee have different tastes in Pizza I usually make us each one and then have leftovers.  This time my Dad joined us so I had 3 pizzas to make but this time I decided to make me Spinoccoli Pizza instead of my usual pepperoni with pineapple and it was AMAZING!  Of course neither my Dad or Lee would try it, I did get Lee to try the white sauce and when I tried to get my Dad to he just laughed and said "I'm not married to you so I don't have to!"  It's another Annie recipe, I usually hate to post back to back Annie recipes but I figured since I just posted about her amazing Pizza Dough yesterday I might as well post this.  FYI-I did not use the homemade dough because I had coupons to get free Boboli pizza crusts that expired 12/31 so I had quite a few to use up, and if you don't make the Pizza Dough then I suggest trying Boboli-they are pretty good. 

Spinoccoli Pizza
For the white sauce:
1 tbsp. butter
1 tbsp. flour
¾ cup heavy cream or half-and-half
1 clove garlic, smashed
Salt and pepper, to taste
6 tbsp. freshly grated Parmesan cheese
For the pizza:
Pizza Dough
Olive oil, for brushing
½ cup packed baby spinach leaves, torn
1 cup very small broccoli florets
2 oz. shredded mozzarella cheese
2 oz. shredded cheddar cheese (I didn't use cheddar cheese) 
Grated Parmesan

In a small sauce pan melt the butter and then whisk in the flour, keep whisking until it bubbles.  Add the heavy cream and the garlic, whisk until thick.  Take off the heat, add the Parmesan cheese and salt/pepper.

To make the pizza, preheat the oven and a pizza stone at 500˚ F for at least 30 minutes.  Roll out the pizza dough into a 12-14 inch round.  Lightly brush the perimeter of the dough with olive oil.  Spread a thin layer of the white sauce over the crust, leaving a border clear around the edge for the crust.  Sprinkle the torn spinach leaves over the white sauce.  Evenly distribute the broccoli florets over the dough.  Layer evenly with the shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheeses.  Finish with additional grated Parmesan, if desired.  Transfer the pizza to the preheated pizza stone and bake until the cheese is melted and bubbling and the crust is lightly browned, about 10-12 minutes.  Remove from the oven and let cool slightly before slicing and serving.

Adapted from Annie's Eats.

No comments:

Post a Comment